Grilled Summer Vegetables with Fresh Mozzarella
Total Time:40 minutes
Grilled vegetables are delicious and easy to cook. Take advantage of summer's vegetable bounty with this simple recipe.
- 2 zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and sliced into large strips
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch rounds
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella, salted or buffalo style, cut into thick slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pinch salt and black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, julienned (optional)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine or balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- In a large bowl, combine all marinade ingredients. Add the prepared vegetables and marinate 30 minutes, turning often.
- Heat your gas or barbecue grill on medium-high. Remove the vegetables from the marinade and grill until cooked through, about 5 minutes, turning often.
- Season the mozzarella with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Arrange mozzarella slices around the edge of a serving platter.
- Remove the vegetables from the grill and layer the eggplant first in the center of the platter, then zucchini, and top with bell peppers. Drizzle with leftover marinade and garnish with basil.
265 calories, 15 g. fat, 31 mg. cholesterol, 53 mg. sodium, 15 g. carbohydrate, 7 g. fiber, 19 g. protein