Grilled Trout with Onions
Total Time:30 minutes
Trout and other small whole fish cook quickly on the grill. The key is to keep the delicate fish from sticking on the grate and tearing. If you like to cook fish, it can be worth investing in a fish grilling basket. This tool, made of wire, opens and closes to clamp the fish in place so you can cook it without placing it directly on the grate. If you don't have one, you can grill the fish wrapped in foil, which has the benefit of keeping it moist and adds the option of infusing the fish with added flavors such as lemon and herbs.
- 4 whole trout, cleaned and rinsed
- 1 large lemon, half cut in thin slices, half in wedges
- A handful of fresh herbs, like parsley, thyme, or dill
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and sliced in 1/4 inch thick rounds
- Vegetable or olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Rinse the fish and pat dry. Salt and pepper inside the cavity. Slip one or two lemon slices into each cavity, and add a few sprigs of herb. Brush the outside of the fish with oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In the fish cage, or on a sheet of foil large enough to enclose the fish, place a couple of onion slices per fish, then place the fish on top of them. Top filets with more onion slices. Close the basket or fold the foil over the fish, crimping the edges to make a sealed packet.
- To grill, set the fire up for indirect grilling: build the charcoal fire and when the coals are white, rake them to one side of the grill. For a gas grill, preheat both sides of the grill on high, then turn off one side before cooking.
- Place the fish basket or packets over the cool side of the grill and close the lid. Turn the fish over at about 7 minutes, cooking for about 15 minutes total. Use a sharp paring knife to test the fish at the widest part of the filet for doneness, it should flake easily when fully cooked. If it needs more time, re-seal or close the basket and cook for a couple minutes more per side.
- Plate the fish with onion slices on the side and serve with lemon wedges.
260 calories, 8 g. fat, 100 mg. cholesterol, 57 mg. sodium, 10 g. carbohydrate, 2 g. fiber, 36 g. protein