Maple Syrup Blondies
Total Time:45 minutes
Using maple syrup instead of refined white sugar makes Philip Speer's blondies especially delectable.
- 1 1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter
- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Heat maple syrup in saucepan over medium high heat until it comes to a simmer. Lower heat to medium and let syrup reduce by approximately ¼ cup; about 5 minutes. Turn off heat and add butter. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs and vanilla. Slowly stream syrup and butter mixture into eggs, while whisking continuously.
- In a separate bowl, combine all dry ingredients and mix well. Incorporate dry mixture into the wet mixture in small amounts, stirring to a smooth consistency.
- Pour into a well-greased, 9”x 9” glass baking pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until center is moist and set. Remove from oven and cool before cutting.
For an extra rich treat, drizzle a few teaspoons of maple syrup or honey over the fresh blondies just before serving!
212 Calories, 9 g. fat, 46 mg. cholesterol, 126 mg. sodium, 32 g. carbohydrate, 2 g. fiber, 3 g. protein