Salmon Veggie Packets
Total Time:30 minutes; 15 minutes active
This is a quick weeknight dinner that cooks your veggies and salmon together, for a streamlined preparation. You can even assemble these in the morning and refrigerate them, then slide them in the oven when you get home from work.
- 4 6-ounce salmon fillets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small red onion, slivered
- 8 large green olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 375°F. Get a baking sheet with a rim to hold the packets. Cut four square sheets of parchment, about 14 inches long, then fold each corner to corner to form a triangle, and crease the paper. Open each sheet and place on the work surface
- Combine the olive oil, red pepper, onion, olives, thyme and salt.
- Place a salmon fillet along the fold of each parchment square, leaving at least an inch and a half around the edge closest to you uncovered to seal the packets. Place a quarter of the veggie mixture on top of each fillet. Fold over the parchment to enclose the food. Starting at one corner of the packet, fold short sections of the edges of the parchment to crimp the edges of the packet closed.
- Place the packets on the sheet pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the packets are puffed and the salmon is cooked through. Place each packet on a plate and serve so that diners can open the paper packet and release the fragrant steam at the table.
- Variations: Change up this dish to suit your family’s taste and incorporate seasonal veggies. Combine cauliflower florets, chopped tomato, capers, basil and olive tapenade, or try snap peas, carrot, tamari and toasted sesame oil. The key is to chop or slice the vegetables small enough so they will steam quickly inside the packets.
400 calories, 17 g. fat, 95 mg. cholesterol, 310 mg. sodium, 11 g. carbohydrate, 3 g. fiber, 48 g. protein