Smokin’ Hot Super Sandwich
Total Time:30 minutes
Flavor inspirations from Italy and Mexico combine for a delicious new twist on a classic sandwich. A perfect party sandwich!
- 1 16-ounce loaf ciabatta bread
- 1 1/2 pounds peppered turkey deli meat, sliced medium thin
- 8 ounces smoked cheddar cheese, sliced
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced very thin
- 1/4 to 1/2 pound mesclun or spring mix lettuce
- 2 to 3 avocados
- 4 tablespoons prepared salsa (try a chipotle-flavored version)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 lime, juiced
- hot sauce to taste, if desired
- Peel the avocadoes and coarsely mash them in a bowl, leaving them fairly chunky. Fold in the salsa, mayonnaise, cilantro, lime juice, and hot sauce.
- To assemble the sandwiches, slice the ciabatta loaf in half and hollow out some of the bread to create more room for the sandwich fillings. Spread each side of the loaf with half of the avocado mixture. Stack the turkey, cheese, tomatoes, onions, and lettuce evenly across the bottom half. Place the top of the loaf on and slice into six smaller sandwiches. Skewer the sandwich pieces using toothpicks garnished with cherry tomatoes, peppadews, pickled jalapeno peppers or pepperoncini.
- Options: Substitute any favorite meat or meat substitute, like thinly sliced flank steak or chicken, vegetarian deli slices, or marinated sliced tofu, for the sliced turkey.
Chips and salsa, spicy chicken wings, baked beans, hearty soups, chowders or chili and traditional deli salads such as coleslaw or potato salad will turn this sandwich into a full-fledged party.
469 calories, 34 g. fat, 59 mg. cholesterol, 855 mg. sodium, 27 g. carbohydrate, 7 g. fiber, 18 g. protein