Sweet Potato and Parsnip Latkes
Total Time:30-40 minutes
Servings:12 (12 latkes)
This tasty latke variation can be enjoyed with applesauce, chipotle sour cream, horseradish sauce, smoked fish and more!
- 2 cups shredded sweet potatoes
- 1 cup shredded parsnips
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup flour (see Notes for Passover version)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1 cup apple, peeled and minced
- Peel the sweet potato and parsnip and shred using a grater or food processor. Wrap the shredded sweet potato and parsnip in a few paper towels and squeeze to remove excess liquid.
- In a large bowl, mix the sweet potato and parsnip with the scallions, eggs, flour, salt and pepper.
- Heat a large iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add enough vegetable oil to cover the bottom and come up the sides at least a quarter of an inch. When the oil is hot, scoop about 1/4 cup of latke mixture into the pan and slightly flatten. Repeat until the pan is full but not crowded. Brown the latkes on each side 3-4 minutes. Set aside on a plate lined with paper towels when done. While the latkes are cooking, stir together the sour cream and minced apple. Serve the apple sour cream on top of the warm latkes.
Tips & Notes
For a Passover version, in which flour cannot be used, substitute 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon Matzo Cake Meal for the flour.
Calories: 141, Fat: 6 g, Cholesterol: 39 mg, Sodium: 123 mg, Carbohydrate: 19 g, Dietary Fiber: 3 g, Protein: 3 g