Beet, Goat Cheese and Cucumber Salad
Total Time:25 minutes
Freshly steamed beets add their earthy sweetness to this lovely salad that's bursting with color.
- 1 pound beets, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups red leaf lettuce, 2 1/2 ounces, torn
- 2 small tomatoes, cubed
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 4 ounces chevre cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Set up a steamer and steam the beets until tender when pierced with a paring knife. This should take about 5 minutes. Move the steamer to the sink and rinse the beets with cool water, let cool. Chill while preparing the dressing.
- In a small bowl, whisk the lemon juice, Dijon mustard, salt and sugar to mix well. Whisk in the olive oil.
- In a serving bowl, arrange the lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers and beets, and top with crumbled chevre cheese. Drizzle with the dressing and toss just before serving.
Serve this salad as a side alongside grilled or baked chicken or fish or add cooked white beans, lentils or garbanzo beans and serve as a main course with a hearty whole grain bread.
246 calories, 6 g. fat, 10 mg. cholesterol, 534 mg. sodium, 20 g. carbohydrate, 11 g. fiber, 8 g. protein