Brown Rice Broccoli Salad
Total Time:60 minutes; 20 minutes active
- 1 cup medium-grain brown rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 stalk broccoli, florets and peeled stems, sliced
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 2 large scallions, chopped
- 2 cups baby spinach, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh dill, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted green olives
- 8 ounces feta cheese, rinsed and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan, then add the rice. Return to a boil, cover and reduce the heat to low. Cook for about 40 minutes until all the water is absorbed. Let the rice stand, covered, for at least 5 minutes to finish steaming. Uncover and transfer to a large bowl to cool.
- While the rice cooks, slice and chop the vegetables and herbs. Cook the broccoli in a steamer over boiling water for about a minute; allow to cool. Add the broccoli, carrot, scallions, spinach, dill, olives and feta cheese to the brown rice. Whisk together the vinegar, olive oil and pepper in a small bowl and pour over the salad. Toss the mixture to coat.
- Serve at room temperature or store, tightly covered, for up to 4 days in the refrigerator.
A whole-grain salad combines the “side of grains, side of vegetables” concept into a single dish, one that complements roasted chicken or stands on its own as a satisfying vegetarian entrée.
470 calories, 27 g. fat, 50 mg. cholesterol, 880 mg. sodium, 46 g. carbohydrate, 4 g. fiber, 13 g. protein