Total Time:15-20 minutes
Thinly sliced cantaloupe is drizzled with a light vinaigrette and Parmesan cheese in this delightful appetizer.
- 1/2 medium-large cantaloupe
- 2 tablespoons shallots, peeled and minced
- 1/2 lemon, juice and zest
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Pinch of salt and black pepper
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese
- Remove the rind and seeds from the cantaloupe. Cut into 3 or 4 wedges, and then, using a sharp knife or vegetable peeler, cut each wedge into long, thin slices. Lay the slices out on a large plate or platter or divide evenly between small salad plates.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the shallots, lemon juice and zest, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, honey, salt, and pepper. Drizzle the dressing over the sliced cantaloupe. Using a vegetable peeler, shave Parmesan cheese into thin curls or slices. Top the dressed cantaloupe with the shaved Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
Accompany melon carpaccio with bowls of chilled gazpacho for a special warm weather lunch. Or add thinly-sliced prosciutto or Serrano ham for an authentically Mediterranean appetizer.
194 calories, 14 g. fat, 12 mg. cholesterol, 263 mg. sodium, 11 g. carbohydrate, 1 g. fiber, 6 g. protein