This simple, rich chilled dessert is an easy and elegant favorite.
- 8 ounces cherry preserves (about 1 cup)
- 4 ounces pitted fresh cherries, halved (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 ounces lemon sponge cake or pound cake, cubed into bite-sized pieces
- 3/4 cup shortbread cookies, crumbled (divided)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, cold
- 1/4 cup Mascarpone cheese, softened to room temperature
- In a small bowl, mix the cherry preserves with the fresh cherry halves. Set aside.
- Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, whip the heavy cream on medium-high speed for about 1 minute. The cream should get fluffy and have fairly stiff peaks. Add the Mascarpone cheese and blend on medium speed just until the cheese is incorporated. Set aside.
- Use a trifle dish or 4-6 individual serving glasses to layer the trifle components. Start by evenly distributing the cherry mixture; then add the cubed cake. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the shortbread cookie crumbles. Top with whipped cream and garnish with the remaining 1/4 cup of shortbread cookies and a few fresh cherries. Keep cold until serving.
This rich, chilled treat makes a nice midday summer treat, served with lemonade.
Calories: 222, Fat: 13 g, Cholesterol: 84 mg, Sodium: 107 mg, Carbohydrate: 22 g, Dietary Fiber: 1 g, Protein: 2 g