Chocolate Matcha Energy Balls
Total Time:15 minutes
Looking for a little pick-me-up? These tiny treats don’t take up much room in your bag, but pack enough energy to fortify you for a vigorous hike or long day at work. Dates provide a natural, fiber-rich energy boost, while cocoa and matcha contribute antioxidants (and a little caffeine).
Can't find matcha powder in the bulk aisle? Check the tea section or wellness department.
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup raw walnuts
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon matcha, divided
- Pinch of salt
- Place cashews and walnuts in the food processor and grind the nuts to a fine mince, then scrape them to the center of the container. Add the dates, maple syrup or honey, cocoa, 1 tablespoon matcha and salt. Process until the dates form a thick paste and the mixture holds together if you squeeze a bit of it.
- Scoop out a tablespoon of the mixture, form into a ball and place into a medium bowl; repeat until all of the mixture has been used. Use a wire mesh strainer to sift the remaining matcha over the balls. Roll the balls around to coat. Store, tightly wrapped, in the refrigerator for up to a month.
45 calories, 2 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 0 mg. sodium, 7 g. carbohydrate, 1 g. fiber, 1 g. protein