Crab Cakes with Cracked Mustard Sauce
Total Time:1 hour 30 minutes; 30 minutes active
Servings:4-6 (12 cakes)
This classic, easy mustard sauce is an elegant way to dress up these crab cakes. Or try it on shrimp, chicken or pork.
- 1 pound crab meat, canned
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs, divided
- vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon coarse mustard
- 3 tablespoons minced shallots, peeled and minced
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- For the cakes: Drain the crab meat and pat dry with towels. In a large bowl, mix the mayonnaise, Dijon, parsley, egg, lemon zest and juice, and 1/2 cup of the panko breadcrumbs. Spread the remaining panko on a plate for coating the cakes. Add the drained crab and mix gently, then portion into 1/4 cup patties. Gently press to form 1-inch thick cakes, then coat the cakes with panko. Chill for an hour.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and brush to coat with oil. Carefully place the cakes in the pan and cook for about 2 minutes per side, to crisp and brown the coating. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook for another 3 minutes to cook through. Serve with sauce.
- For the sauce: In a small saucepan, combine the wine, mustard and shallots and place over high heat. Bring the wine mixture to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 3 minutes.
- Whisk in the cream, and return to a simmer for another minute. In a bowl, whisk the egg yolk. Take the cream mixture off the heat and whisk about 1/4 cup of the hot cream into the yolk, whisking constantly, then whisk the egg yolk mixture into the cream mixture in the pan. Whisk constantly over medium heat, until the sauce thickens and a few bubbles come to the surface around the edges of the pan; don't boil. Take off the heat.
Serve with toasted baguette for mopping up the sauce, and a crisp salad.
470 calories, 26 g. fat, 372 mg. cholesterol, 808 mg. sodium, 24 g. carbohydrate, 1 g. fiber, 30 g. protein