Crispy Fish Sandwich with Pineapple Slaw
Total Time:25 minutes
This mouthwatering, crispy, pan-fried, fish sandwich is topped with a tangy, zesty pineapple slaw.
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 8-ounce can pineapple chunks, or rings, drained and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups coleslaw mix
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/4 pounds haddock, or Pacific cod, skinned and cut into 4 portions
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 8 slices whole-wheat country bread, toasted
- Whisk mayonnaise, yogurt, vinegar and crushed red pepper to taste in a medium bowl. Add pineapple and coleslaw mix and stir to combine.
- Place cornmeal in a shallow dish. Sprinkle both sides of fish with Cajun seasoning and salt. Dredge the fish in the cornmeal.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the fish and cook until golden, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and repeat with the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and fish, adjusting heat as necessary to prevent burning.
- Top toasted bread with the fish and pineapple slaw to make sandwiches. Serve immediately
Tips & Notes
Shopping Tip: Look for convenient pre-shredded cabbage-and-carrot “coleslaw mix” near other prepared vegetables in the produce section.
420 calories, 9 g. fat, 105 mg. cholesterol, 684 mg. sodium, 42 g. carbohydrate, 7 g. fiber, 44 g. protein