Goat Cheese and Bell Pepper Omelet
Total Time:10 minutes
Any day's a great day when you start with this quick and tasty goat cheese and bell pepper omelet.
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup red onion, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup bell pepper, julienned (green, red or yellow)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 ounces soft goat cheese (chevre)
- Heat butter and 1 tablespoon of oil in a nonstick sauté pan over medium-high heat until hot. Lower heat to medium and sauté the bell peppers and onions for 3-5 minutes until soft and fragrant. Remove from skillet.
- Crack eggs into a small bowl, season to taste and whisk together.
- Add remaining oil to the pan and heat over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, pour in the eggs. Using a rubber spatula, gently scramble the eggs from the center out toward the edges, being careful to leave the edges intact. The omelet should slide freely in the pan as it sets up. Once most of the eggs have solidified, and the edges have curled up, it's time to flip. Shake the pan gently from side to side and then flip the omelet with a gentle forward and upward thrust followed by a quick pull back.
- Place the pepper and onion mixture on one half of the omelet. Crumble goat cheese on top. Slide the half of the omelet with the veggies and cheese on it out of the pan onto serving plate, then gently lift the pan and flip the remaining egg up and over the fillings.
Customize your omelet with your favorite fillings: garlic, salsa, sausage, spinach, artichokes, asparagus, shredded cheeses, bacon—whatever you like.
Tips & Notes
Learn how to flip eggs like a pro. Dana Tomlin shows you how in this Co+op Kitchen video.
656 Calories, 42 g. fat, 653 mg. cholesterol, 506 mg. sodium, 13 g. carbohydrate, 14 g. fiber, 31 g. protein