Kimchi Fried Rice
Total Time:15 minutes
Kimchi imparts big flavor in this quick, spicy fried rice.
- 1 cup kimchi, drained
- 1/4 cup kimchi juice
- 2 leaves kale, stems chopped, leaves sliced
- 1 tablespoon gochujang or Sriracha
- 2 teaspoons tamari
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 scallions, sliced diagonally
- Pack the kimchi into a cup to measure, then place in a wire mesh strainer over a bowl to drain. Wring the kimchi out until almost dry, reserving the juice in the bowl, then chop and mix with the chopped kale stems and leaves. Measure the kimchi juice in the bowl and add more, if needed, to make 1/4 cup. Whisk the gochujang or Sriracha, tamari and sesame oil into the juice. Place the brown rice in a medium bowl and drizzle with the sauce mixture, tossing to mix.
- To cook, place a large skillet over medium high heat. Drizzle the vegetable oil in the pan and swirl to coat. Add the kimchi mixture and stir, cooking until the kimchi is lightly browned and the kale is very soft. Add the brown rice mixture and stir until heated through.
- While the rice cooks, cook the eggs in another small skillet to desired doneness, sunny side up. Divide the rice between two serving bowls, and top each with an egg and chopped scallions.
This dish makes for a flavorful (and fast) lunch on its own, or serve with an Asian-style slaw or steamed broccoli for a well-rounded dinner. Substitute cubed marinated baked tofu for the eggs, if you like! The flavors and spice level can vary greatly in kimchi, so you can customize this to meet your family’s preferences.
530 calories, 17 g. fat, 210 mg. cholesterol, 1160 mg. sodium, 88 g. carbohydrate, 9 g. fiber, 18 g. protein