Maple Cinnamon Cupcakes
Total Time:10 minutes active; 30 minutes total
These Maple Cinnamon cupcakes are dense, moist, yet not overly sweet. They make a great dessert or "anytime" treat!
- 2/3 cup soymilk
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, grain sweetened
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder (optional)
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon soymilk
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Insert paper cupcake liners into a medium muffin pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the soymilk and vinegar. Let this mixture stand for 5 minutes, then whisk in the maple syrup, applesauce, oil and vanilla extract. Sift in the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and cocoa powder (if you prefer chocolate cupcakes), and mix to a smooth batter. Fill the paper cups two-thirds full and bake 18–20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center come out clean.
- To make the icing, cream together margarine, cinnamon and half the confectioners’ sugar in a bowl, add the soymilk and maple syrup and blend well; then add and blend in the remaining sugar. Ice the cupcakes after they are completely cooled.
These nondairy and vegan cupcakes are moist, dense and not overly sweet. Serve them for dessert or as an “anytime” treat, garnished with extra chocolate chips or chopped nuts if you like.
Calories: 410, Fat: 16 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 281 mg, Carbohydrate: 57 g, Dietary Fiber: 2 g, Protein: 5 g