Moroccan Beef Stew
Total Time:40 minutes
Sweet, savory and aromatic, this quick and flavorful stew is a delight for the senses. Perfect served with couscous or rice, flatbread and a green salad.
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 pounds beef, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups onions, chopped (1 large)
- 2 cups carrots, chopped (3 medium carrots)
- 2 tablespoons fresh garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper and add to pan and brown on all sides, about 5-7 minutes. Transfer to plate along with juices.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil, onion, carrots and garlic to the pan; cook until vegetables are soft, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes.
- Add spices and stir 1 minute.
- Add broth, olives, raisins, beans and cilantro and the beef with the juices, and bring it all to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer until juices thicken and beef is tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add lemon zest and serve.
Per Serving: 474 calories, 16g fat, 60mg cholesterol, 48g carbohydrates, 12g dietary fiber, 34g protein 259 mg sodium