Pulled Pork Cemita Sandwich
Total Time:3 hours; 20 minutes active
This sandwich is named after the cemita roll. But this flavorful sandwich is ever so tasty on just about any roll.
- 2 pounds pork butt or shoulder, bones removed, cut into large chunks
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika or smoked paprika
- 2 cups (approximately) broth or water
- Juice of 1 lime
- 4 cemita rolls or sesame seed buns
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 small white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 ounces Oaxaca cheese, queso fresco or mozzarella, shredded or crumbled
- 3 tablespoons finely-chopped chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- Place pork and spices in a large Dutch oven or stock pot and add broth or water just to cover the pork. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover the pot and simmer for 2 hours. Remove lid, adjust heat to medium, and cook to reduce liquid for another 30-40 minutes, turning pork pieces occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Gently remove the pork pieces from the Dutch oven, reserving the cooking liquid, and place on an oiled sheet pan. Place in the oven for 15 minutes to crisp and brown the edges of the pork. Remove from oven and using tongs or forks, gently shred the pork and mix with about 1/2 cup of the remaining cooking liquid and the juice of 1 lime. Set aside.
- To make the sandwiches, spread some of the chopped chipotles on both sides of each bun. Layer with pulled pork, cheese, cilantro leaves, tomato, onion and avocado. Serve.
From the Mexican state of Puebla, a cemita roll is a bread roll covered with sesame seeds. The bread is made with egg and resembles brioche in texture. Kaiser rolls or sesame seed hamburger buns make easy substitutes. Serve these hearty sandwiches with a tart limeade or a cold lager with a slice of lime. In a hurry? Substitute precooked pulled or BBQ beef or pork.
671 calories, 28 g. fat, 117 mg. cholesterol, 801 mg. sodium, 62 g. carbohydrate, 4 g. fiber, 41 g. protein