Quinoa Kale Salad with Corn
Total Time:40 minutes
This tasty salad features the a nutritional powerhouse duo: kale and quinoa.
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup red quinoa
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 cups chopped raw kale (about 4 ounces)
- 10 ounces extra firm tofu (or pre-baked tofu)
- 1 teaspoon tamari soy sauce
- Vegetable oil spray
- 1 cup corn, frozen or canned, drained
- 2 tablespoons flax oil, walnut oil, or canola oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF, if baking the tofu yourself.
- In a 2-quart saucepan with a lid, bring water to a boil, and add the quinoa and salt. Return to a boil, then reduce to low and cook for 14 minutes, until all the water is absorbed. Chop the kale while the quinoa cooks, and as soon as all the water is absorbed, stir the kale into the hot grain to steam. Cover, remove from heat, and let stand for five minutes.
- Drain the tofu, wrap in a kitchen towel, and press to remove excess water. Slice the tofu in 1/2 inch wide slabs. Spray a baking sheet with vegetable spray, place the slabs on it, and sprinkle with half of the tamari. Flip the slabs and sprinkle with the remaining tamari. Bake for 20 minutes, then turn the pieces and bake for 15 minutes more. Let cool, then cut in small cubes.
- Transfer the cooked quinoa and tofu cubes to a large bowl, and add the corn. In a small cup, whisk the flax or other oil, lemon, salt and pepper and pour over the quinoa mixture. Toss and serve at room temperature, or chill to serve later. Keeps for a week in the refrigerator.
248 calories, 16 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 260 mg. sodium, 18 g. carbohydrate, 3 g. fiber, 10 g. protein