Roast Pork with Mango Chutney
Total Time:1 hour 10 minutes; 20 minutes active
Fragrant and flavorful spices make this pork tenderloin and mango chutney irresistible.
- 1 1/2 pounds pork tenderloin, trimmed of fat
- 2 teaspoons each coriander seeds, cumin seeds and fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup yellow onion, diced
- 4 teaspoons fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1/4 teaspoon each red chili flakes, brown mustard seeds, cinnamon, turmeric and ground cloves
- 1 1/4 cups ripe mango, (about 3 mangos), pitted, peeled and diced
- 3 tablespoons raisins or diced dried apricots
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- Pinch each of salt and black pepper
- In a spice grinder or using a mortar and pestle, grind the coriander, cumin and fennel seeds. Add the salt and pepper, then rub the spice mixture evenly over the entire pork tenderloin. Let the pork sit, refrigerated, for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Place the pork tenderloin on an oiled sheet pan, and bake for 35-40 minutes or until desired temperature is reached. Let the pork rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Once the pork is in the oven, prepare the chutney. In a medium pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté for a few minutes until it begins to soften. Add the ginger, garlic, chili flakes and mustard seeds and sauté another 2 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring frequently, until the chutney has reduced to a thick sauce. Serve on the side with the sliced pork.
A basmati rice pilaf goes well with this spiced roast pork. Try any leftover chutney with sliced rotisserie chicken, on turkey sandwiches or on crackers spread with fresh goat cheese as an easy appetizer or snack. Chutney keeps for a couple weeks in the refrigerator or can be frozen for up to 60 days.
264 calories, 7 g. fat, 74 mg. cholesterol, 723 mg. sodium, 26 g. carbohydrate, 3 g. fiber, 25 g. protein