Slow-Cooker Brownies with Walnuts
Total Time:2 hours; 20 minutes active
These brownies bake up luscious and gooey. They are delicious with walnuts, but you can substitute other nuts, or even raisins or chocolate chips.
- 3/4 cup unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa, sieved if necessary
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar (optional)
- Prepare your 4 quart, oval slow cooker for cooking. Either line the cooker with parchment (recommended for a neater presentation), or use a sliver of the butter to butter the bottom and 1 inch up the walls of the insert, then dust with the teaspoon of flour.
- In a medium bowl, stir the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter and then remove from the heat. Stir in the brown sugar, then the vanilla until well mixed. Beat in the eggs just to mix. Stir in the flour mixture until smooth, then fold in the walnuts. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Cover the slow cooker and cook on High for 1 1/2 hours. Let cool for 5 minutes before cutting. The brownies will cut more neatly if you let them cool completely, but they will be less gooey.
- If desired, use a fine sieve to dust cooled brownies with powdered sugar before serving.
280 calories, 17 g. fat, 85 mg. cholesterol, 220 mg. sodium, 29 g. carbohydrate, 1 g. fiber, 5 g. protein