Spicy Chimichurri Pickled Vegetables
Total Time:1 week
Servings:makes 1 quart; 6 servings
Make these pickles from any sturdy veggies on hand for a zesty accompaniment to grilled meats, burgers, chili and stews.
- 1 pound mixed vegetables, washed and cut into bite-sized pieces (try cauliflower, bell peppers, onion, carrots, green beans, or other sturdy vegetables)
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 6-8 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- Place the garlic cloves, oregano, and parsley in the bottom of a one-quart jar. Pack the rest of the vegetables tightly into the jar.
- In a saucepan, mix the vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, chili flakes, coriander, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil to make a brine. Remove from heat and pour the hot brine over the vegetables. Add hot water until the liquid covers the vegetables. Let cool, then put the lid on tightly and place in the refrigerator. Allow the vegetables to pickle for about a week, shaking the jar occasionally.
These spicy pickled vegetables complement grilled meats, burgers, hearty chili and stews, accompanied by a good craft beer. Try adding them to an antipasto platter or relish tray for extra kick.
45 calories, 0 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 135 mg. sodium, 10 g. carbohydrate, 2 g. fiber, 2 g. protein