Total Time:25 minutes
- 4 cups lightly packed arugula
- 1/2 cup lightly packed fresh parsley leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 pound whole wheat penne pasta
- Process the arugula, parsley, garlic, Parmesan and peas in a food processor until they form a smooth paste, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl twice. Add the lemon juice, salt and olive oil and process, scraping down as needed, to make a smooth, creamy pesto. Place the pesto in a bowl, and stir in the lemon zest.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions; drain and toss with the pesto. Serve with additional Parmesan cheese, and freshly-ground black pepper to taste.
Spread this light, fresh pesto on a prepared pizza crust and top with goat cheese before baking or broiling, and cut in small triangles for a seasonal appetizer. Add halved cherry tomatoes and snips of fresh herbs or garlic scapes if you like.
340 calories, 10 g. fat, 5 mg. cholesterol, 290 mg. sodium, 290 g. carbohydrate, 9 g. fiber, 13 g. protein