Turkey and Sweet Potato Chili
Total Time:55 minutes; 25 minutes active
Sweet, hearty and delicious, this chili is sure to please the entire family.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 pound turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 sweet potatoes, chopped into small pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced fire-roasted tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
- Warm oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add sausage; break up any large chunks and sauté until no pink remains. Using a slotted spoon, transfer meat to a bowl; cover. Add onion, bell pepper and sweet potato to pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 6 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Return meat to pot.
- Stir in tomatoes, beans, broth, water, spices and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and stir in beans. Cover and simmer until chili thickens slightly, about 30 minutes. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
Sweet potatoes are a tasty way to add important nutrients to your diet like Vitamin A, fiber and even protein. Substitute your favorite sausage, ground meat or meatless alternative if you prefer. Have fun topping the chili; try a spoon of plain yogurt, cilantro, diced avocado or tortilla chips—you can't go wrong!
440 calories, 13 g. fat, 60 mg. cholesterol, 930 mg. sodium, 63 g. carbohydrate, 15 g. fiber, 21 g. protein