Kielbasa and Rice
Total Time:1 hour; 30 minutes total
This hearty, savory, one-pot, budget-friendly dish is a delicious crowd pleaser.
- 12 ounces kielbasa sausage, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 3/4 cup uncooked white rice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large stock pot, heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the kielbasa and brown the pieces for a few minutes; remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the pot and sauté the onions, celery and carrots over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes until the vegetables begin to soften. Add the mushrooms and spices and cook for 2 more minutes, then add the rice and stock. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer, covered, for 20-30 minutes until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender. Add the cooked sausage to the rice and vegetables and stir. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Customize this dish by substituting vegetarian sausage for the kielbasa or use brown rice in place of white (add 10 minutes to your cooking time). Delicious served with kid-friendly baked beans or applesauce, or try it with braised greens and cornbread.
516 calories, 31 g. fat, 56 mg. cholesterol, 882 mg. sodium, 43 g. carbohydrate, 4 g. fiber, 15 g. protein