Caramelized Onion and Fennel Tarts
Total Time:50 minutes total; 20 minutes active
These savory tarts are perfect as an appetizer or a small tapas-style plate accompanied by a green salad.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 medium yellow onions, julienned
- 1 large fennel bulb, trimmed and sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- Pinch of salt
- 8 ounces soft chevre
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- Pinch each of salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 3 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 14-ounce package puff pastry, thawed
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add the onions, fennel, white wine, and a pinch of salt, and sauté for 20-30 minutes, stirring frequently, until vegetables are dark brown and fragrant. Remove from heat and set aside.
- While the onions and fennel are cooking, mix the chevre, one beaten egg, fresh rosemary, and a pinch of salt and black pepper in a small mixing bowl. Blend well and set aside.
- Carefully remove the puff pastry from its package and lay it on a floured surface (if necessary, roll out the pastry dough into a large rectangle). Cut the dough into 12 equal rectangles. Place the rectangles on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Fold over ¼ inch of dough around each edge to make a small border to contain the filling. Beat the other egg to make an egg wash. Brush just the folded edges of the puff pastry with egg wash.
- Gently spread equal amounts of softened goat cheese mix on each of the rectangles of dough. Divide the caramelized onions and fennel over the top of the goat cheese. Sprinkle each tart with a few pine nuts and a little Parmesan cheese. Place the baking tray in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until the pastry is puffy and just starting to brown.
Serve these savory tarts as an appetizer or a small tapas-style plate accompanied by a green salad. Change up the toppings to include your favorites: mushrooms, grilled vegetables, tomatoes and fresh herbs all work well.
240 calories, 14 g. fat, 75 mg. cholesterol, 271 mg. sodium, 13 g. carbohydrate, 5 g. fiber, 7 g. protein