Total Time:30 minutes
Quick and easy, these flavorful Indian fritters are packed with peas and carrots and served with a dollop of minty raita.
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey or agave
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 2 large scallions, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups finely shredded carrots
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- For the raita, place the yogurt in a medium bowl and stir in the honey or agave, mint, scallions, salt and pepper. Refrigerate.
- Heat the oven to 200°F and line a large, heat-safe plate with a double layer of paper towels. In a large bowl, combine the carrots, peas, onion and ginger and toss to mix. In a small bowl, combine the chickpea flour, turmeric, cumin, cayenne and salt. Stir to mix, then stir into the carrot mixture, mixing until a thick dough forms. Use a quarter-cup measuring cup to scoop the carrot mixture and flatten each portion to a half-inch thick patty.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat for about a minute, then drizzle in the oil, tilting the pan to cover the bottom. Place several portions of the carrot-pea mixture in the pan, leaving an inch of space between them. As they start to sizzle, reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook for about 2 minutes, and use a thin metal spatula to carefully turn the fritters. Cook for 2 minutes on the second side, then turn and cook on the first side again for 2 minutes more, until the fritters are quite brown and crisp on the outside. Place on the prepared plate in the oven to keep them warm as you finish the remaining fritters. Serve warm with raita.
Explore Indian cuisine by pairing these fritters with dal—a traditional lentil soup or stew with countless regional variations—and a side of naan bread. Substitute non-dairy yogurt for a vegan-friendly version of the raita.
360 calories, 11 g. fat, 10 mg. cholesterol, 770 mg. sodium, 55 g. carbohydrate, 13 g. fiber, 15 g. protein